Environmental Management and Environmental Policy
We at the Kyowa Kirin Group have steadily implemented the ISO 14001 management system based on the Kyowa Kirin Group Environmental Policy. We will push forward our business activities with a pronounced commitment to environmental protection and implement activities aimed at realizing a low carbon corporate group right across the supply chain.
In addition, we implement our environmental activities not only in compliance with relevant laws and regulations, but also by setting additionally stringent voluntary management targets.
As of May 2018, we have completed the update of the ISO 14001 to the latest standard ISO 14001:2015 on all sites, and January 1 2019, we shifted from the third party certification to the self-declaration.
ISO 14001 self-declaration sites*
Takasaki Plant, Ube Plant, Tokyo Research Park, Fuji Site
In the 22th Environmental Management Survey, an annual survey conducted by Nikkei Inc. to comprehensively assess the environmental management of Japanese corporations (announced on May 26, 2019 in The Nikkei), Kyowa Kirin ranked 71th out of 360 companies in the manufacturing sector, and 3th out of 22 companies in the pharmaceutical industry.
In addition, Kirin Holdings Company, Limited (our parental company) has been certified as a Climate A List company for the 4th consecutive year from 2014 and a Water Security A List company for the 3rd consecutive year from 2016 by the CDP (an international non-profit organization providing environmental information disclosure system). This is due to the highly appraised group-wide initiatives (including Kyowa Kirin Group) on water resource conservation.
Moreover, Kirin Holdings announces its support for the recommendations of the Task Force on Climate-Related Financial Disclosures (TCFD). As a member of the Kirin Group, we at Kyowa Kirin Group will devote to disclosing information on our environmental initiatives.
- Notice Regarding the Recognition as a Water Security “A List" Company by CDP
- Kirin Becomes the First Japanese Food and Beverage Product Company to Endorse the Recommendations of the Task Force on Climate-Related Financial Disclosures (TCFD)
In addition,the kyowa Kirin Group conducted assessments of the water risks（Water shortage,Water stress,flood,Water pollution) for each plants in Japan and overseas, based on actual water use,water risk assessment tools (WRI Aqueduct and WWF Water Risk Filter), internet and questionnaire surveys.We have evaluated water risks at five levels at each plants and have begun considering actions according to the evaluation results.
Kyowa Kirin Group Environmental Policy
The Kyowa Kirin Group pursues advancements in life sciences and technologies, gives consideration to the environmental impacts of its products throughout their entire life cycle extending from research and development through production, marketing, use and disposal, as well as across the supply chain, and makes dedicated efforts to protect the global environment for the next generation, with the aim of contributing to the health of people around the world and the achievement of a flourishing society.
- 1.We recognize the impact of our business activities on the environment, and promote environmental activities by setting targets for issues of materiality.
- 2.To enhance environmental performance, we have established an environmental management system and are continuing to make improvements.
- 3.Not only do we comply with environmental laws, regulations, agreements, etc., but we also set additionally stringent voluntary management standards to promote prevention of environmental contamination.
- 4.We strive to save resources and energy to combat global warming.
- 5.We strive to reduce water consumption and waste disposal and promote recycling to contribute to achieving a recyclable society.
- 6.We implement ongoing activities to protect the local environment and ecosystems to preserve biodiversity.
- 7.We conduct environmental education and awareness activities to enhance environmental awareness.
Environmental and Safety Audit
The Kyowa Kirin Group annually implements environmental and safety audits to assess whether its environmental and safety management system is functioning and being operated properly. In fiscal 2018, the audits were conducted at 29 business sites of 8 companies1). No environmental or safety-related legal violations subject to punitive measures were identified, nor were any environmental accidents. Problems pointed out in the audits are followed up as necessary to check that they have been rectified in order to ensure continuous improvements.
- *1:As a whole for the Kyowa Kirin Group and the Kyowa Hakko Bio Group.
The Kirin Group, to which our Group belongs, has been receiving independent assurances to ensure the reliability and transparency of information disclosed. In 2018, the Kirin Group (including Kyowa Kirin Group) engaged independent third parties to provide assurance on the amount of CO2 emissions in Scopes 1 and 2.